Friday, April 3, 2009

Ferals' Progress, Part 3 (Julius)


We suspect that Bill and Julius (above) may be twins. They are both big, handsome boys, and it's hard to tell them apart.

I sneaked up on Julius while he was napping on the porch, and he let me get close enough to take this picture (with a little help from the zoom lens on the camera).

Julius used to let us pet him, but then he got a urinary tract infection and had to be caught in a fishing net and carefully lowered into a carrier for a trip to the vet. I don't think he was our vet's favorite patient, but she did a good job healing him.

When he came home, Julius had to be confined to the "hospital" (the bigger of our two bathrooms) for a week so he could take medication that we sprinkled on his food. That confinement pretty much ruined his ability to accept human friendship.

When Grover (Julius's nephew) got the same problem a year or so later, we lucked out because the vet then offered the option of giving Grover a shot that lasted about a week, so he didn't have to be "hospitalized." Grover is now making good progress toward housecat-ism, though he likes Forrest better than he likes me since I was the one who had to net him and drive him to the vet. I saved his life! I guess that doesn't count for much when you're a feral.

No comments:

Post a Comment