Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Halloween Tree!


True confession from A Word Witch: Halloween is my favorite holiday. Has been, all my life. So I was thrilled to get home from work today to find something I've always wanted—a Halloween tree!

Forrest used an old fake Christmas tree we got from my mom right after my dad passed away. I actually prefer to have a real live tree at Christmastime--because I love having tree smell permeate the house--but we used this little fake tree for quite a few years until we could once again afford to get a "real" Christmas tree.

And now, the little fake tree is helping us get ready for my favorite day of the year!

When I was about 14, my parents and grandmother and I took a trip to Washington, D.C., and New England. Along the way, we visited various historic houses. I think it was at Stratford Hall, the birthplace of Robert E. Lee in Virginia (my mom was a huge fan of Lee's), where I saw this old English poem on a souvenir, and memorized it immediately because it struck some kind of chord:

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night, good Lord deliver us."

Stay tuned for more about ghoulies, ghosties, and beasties.

No comments:

Post a Comment