Tuesday, June 30, 2009

KTD 10-Day Teachings/Animal Food


Right behind the shrine building is a steep hill with a large outcrop of rock where people have hung prayer flags. This is the place where the tormas and other food items are put outside after sacred ceremonies, so the neighborhood animals can benefit from the blessings.

The first day I was here, I saw the butt end of a large, brownish raccoon, headed up the hill. Squirrels prowl this area constantly; today, they were attracted to a small birthday cake left over from Saturday’s celebration. The squirrels here are pretty fat.

I saw a large hawk land near the birthday cake, but he flew away when I tried to take his picture. It’s hard to get pictures of birds.

There are quite a few stories about the neighborhood bears. Several people have seen them over the past few days. I haven’t seen them, but I did spot one of them last year, down by the pond.

One day near dusk, I plan to hang out on the back porch, be very quiet, and see what creatures might reveal themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment